According to Psychology Today, gratitude is an emotion expressing appreciation for what one has as opposed to what one wants. Gratitude is getting a great deal of attention as a facet of positive psychology. Studies show that we can deliberately cultivate gratitude, and can increase our well-being and happiness by doing so. In addition, gratefulness—and especially expression of it to others—is associated with increased energy,optimism and empathy.
I am going through a paradigm shift in my personal life. So much is changing as I loose narratives that do not empower me, embracing my truth as I evolve. Finally, I am comfortable when people call me a teacher a term that I have avoided carefully due to fear of not knowing enough. My own insecurities have been tested daily as I follow the path, I was born to take. Having the unique privilege of holding private sessions weekly, I am learning that I do have a lot to be thankful for. Even in the midst of the chaos of building a new brand from scratch, I am reminded of how far I have come. Today I want to focus on the laws of gratitude, thanking God for all the perceived “good” and “bad” that I enjoy. Here are some pointers to reach a state of gratitude so you can attract more things to be grateful for.
- Be thankful for the 10 Naira in your hand.
- If you are thankful for what you have, you’ll receive more.
- Focusing on what you lack, sends negative vibes to your subconscious, which sends the same vibrations to the universe.
- Gratefulness leads to Happiness not the other way round.
- You cannot be thankful and sad at the same time.
- Being grateful for what you have is not settling for less, it shows that you are mindful of the beauty in this present moment. As you appreciate all you have, you walk in abundance.
- Be grateful for your perceived mistakes, they exist to teach you a valuable life lesson.
- Everything we go through on this journey was meant to happen. Like Innocent Usar, would say “there are no mistakes only feedback”. I am thankful for some contracts that I lost when I did not have the maturity to handle huge amounts of money. I am ready now to become a billionaire wink!
- “Gratitude gives a meaning to the past, brings peace to the present, and gives hope for future”.
- You have all you need in this present moment.
- Thanksgiving is the highest form of prayer. All religions preach gratitude for a reason. The more you thank, the more you will have. Try it with humans and see what happens. be genuinely thankful for your partner or friends and watch as the relationship blossoms. My mum will sometimes kneel to thank my dad for paying our fees. He was always very embarrassed by this saying “it is my responsibility, don’t thank me”. However, a few minutes later she will get a cheque to buy anything she needs. I learnt a lot from watching them and seeing first hand how important gratitude is. On the flip side my dad would thank my mum for caring for us. The result was even more affection and love sent in his direction. I can say that my father is the most loved man in the world! Gratitude works.
- When most of the things go wrong , find at least one reason to be positive. Things will go wrong which means our plans may fail. Instead of heading to the destructive voices in our head, look for the glory in the story. What life lesson will I get out of this heartbreak experience. The recent tomatoes scarcity taught me a different way to make stew. Did you know that if you grind fresh onions, pepper and chopped tomatoes (200 Naira per tin at most supermarkets) you will create a sweet pot of stew for a family of 5 like mine. I am still able to produce mouth watering stews at 2,000 Naira or less. I am grateful for the learning experience.
- Gratitude is everything.
- Perceived good experiences cause happiness and the bad ones gives us wisdom. We need a fair dose of wisdom and happiness to survive and thrive on this planet. So count it all joy that you are blessed with the life that you have. Will we have difficult moments as we stay thankful? Perhaps but the key is to find the white light in a sea of darkness. Namaste.